Moving out of state is something many Americans will do at least once in their lives. In fact, about 7 million Americans move to a different state within the U.S. each year (according to the U.S. Census Bureau). A big move to a new state brings with it excitement and an opportunity for personal growth, but moving out of state can be difficult logistically, physically, and mentally. You’ll have to get a new driver’s license, re-register your car in the new state, learn about the different taxes, etc. Before you can even begin to deal with all of that, you have to accomplish the move itself (which presents its own set of difficulties). Here are 5 tips to help moving out of state go smoothly for you:
1. Start packing early! As soon as you know you are going to move, you can begin packing. Think of the things that you won’t use and begin with those (storage, seasonal items, specialty cookware, etc.)
2. Establish a clear labeling system. Stick with it for every box! You need your labeling system to be consistent, especially for a big move like this. If you don’t use a system, you’ll be lost once you arrive at your new home and start wondering where things are. We suggest either labeling where things came from (master bedroom, kitchen, etc.) or where you want them to go in the new house (office, bathroom, etc.) It’s also helpful to list some of the important items that are included in the box (computer cables, cleaning supplies, etc.).
3. Use plastic wrap to keep things together. This is extremely helpful with small furniture items that you take apart for the move like small bookshelves, storage cubes, cribs, etc. Stack all the pieces together and then wrap them up with plastic wrap. They sell large rolls of it that are really easy to use for this, with handles on each end.
4. Keep all of your hardware and cords in one box. This will save you so much time when you arrive. You won’t have to look around from box to box because they will all be in one place.
5. Choose your moving company. You’ll want a company with experience in residential moves and with a good reputation. In our humble opinion, we’re one of the good ones. We are family owned and operated and strive to offer the most affordable rates possible.