On the surface, moving from one office to another seems much more manageable than a residential move. Instead of packing up an entire household of random personal belongings, you only have to worry about moving office equipment. Should be easy, right? What you may be forgetting is that office moving has much higher stakes than a residential move. Instead of just dealing with your “stuff”, you are dealing with your livelihood. You want to make sure this move—of all moves—goes smoothly for you.
To help you out with your upcoming move, we’ve put together a “to-do” list that will help you handle office moving like a pro.
- Make your plans far in advance. You want to make sure to give enough time for arranging all of the small details that will help the transition flow seamlessly and prevent any hiccups in your business.
- Transfer your services (such as internet, phone, etc.) over to your new address. Make sure they know the date you will need the transfer to take place, so you continue to have internet at your current office until the day of the move.
- Label cords and cables so you know which computer they go to. Use care when packing up monitors—never stack them or pack them horizontally. Protect your equipment by wrapping it in bubble wrap and thick blankets.
- Communicate with your customers. Get the word out early that you are moving offices and make sure you include your new address on business cards, letterheads, etc.
- Hire a professional to help move your large items. Office desks, cubicle walls, and other furniture can be moved safely and conveniently by a company like us that has experience with commercial office moving.