Merging two households can be a frustrating task. However, there are some ways to make the transition easier. Follow the tips below from our furniture moving pros at In & Out Moving & Delivery in Charlotte, NC.
- Take inventory of all the furniture and items you have and decide what to keep for your new home. For instance, if you’re getting married, look at the bridal registry to see what each person already has. Decide what you still need and what will be kept for the home you’ll share together.
- To create the style you want, match rooms with existing furniture.
- Donate any items you no longer want, or have a garage sale.
- Consider storage for anything you don’t have room for, but can’t bear to part with. Most furniture moving companies offer this service.
- If you’re moving from one city to an existing home in another city, consider selling most of the furniture instead of moving it.
- If you are combining two existing homes for a completely new one and you’re using a furniture moving company, ask the movers if they can do an extra pickup from your other home. This usually applies if the homes are in the same state. Or, if you have items you’d like to give to a family member or friend, a drop-off may be available if the destination is on the same route. Discuss the options with your local movers.
P.S. Merging two homes may involve additional items that require insurance, such as antiques or jewelry. Check with your insurance company about how much extra insurance you need to cover these items.